F-777 - Super Duper F-777 - Super Duper

This song is a perfect example of working with what you have, although the circumstances are a bit different. Even though the song lacks lower frequencies, it's in no way empty. Not every song needs a ton of low end. That's not to say there shouldn't be low end in this, but I think it works just fine without it.

The melodies in this are pretty amazing. They're catchy and they work well with everything else. They're also not too repetitive, which helps keep attention. I'm a sucker for good melodies, and I gotta hand it to you, Jesse. You delivered.

The section at 1:29 dragged on a bit. There wasn't anything really happening and it felt a bit empty and boring. If I were you I would have cut that section in half just so it didn't drag on as long.

The instrumentation is definitely appropriate for this style. Nothing sticks out or intrudes. They help maintain a nice flow and they compliment the melodies. My only complaint about the instrumentation is the claps. They're pretty generic, especially when they're exposed in the mix, for example at 0:45. They fit the genre, but I think I would have gone with a different, less generic clap. Most of the time it's not as obvious and it doesn't bother me, so it's not a huge issue.

My final issue with this is that it's a tad generic. I didn't really hear anything new or different. It sounds a lot like your recent music especially, but I think everything else helps make up for it. Aside from that, I think everything else was great.

In conclusion, the melodies and the instrumentation were great. The middle section dragged on a bit and the low end was a bit lacking, but aside from that you did an amazing job. If I had to pick between your work and Xtrullor & HelXiX's work, I'd have to go with yours. Both had their fair share of issues, but I think the pluses outweighed the errors in yours more than theirs.

9/10

Lots of people find this review helpful!

Xtrullor & HeliXiX - Catharsis Xtrullor & HeliXiX - Catharsis

The first twenty seconds or so don't really add to the song. I can see what you were trying to accomplish, but it didn't really serve any purpose other than introducing an atmosphere, which you don't really feel throughout the song like in most of your other songs. I think it takes away more than it adds.

The intro is pretty solid (aside from the ambience). It's clearly from a point of view and it sounds like you're walking into a large room. Good job on the placement and the realism there. Even though the ambience didn't work for me, you did a good job making it fit regardless.

I really love the texture at 0:31. The plucks really create an interesting sound in combination with everything else. The percussion elements are a bit too dry in contrast to everything else. I'm not a fan of reverb on percussion, but I think there are places where it's appropriate, and the snare could have used some of it. I'm not crazy about the glitch/water effects here either. Sure they fill a bit of space, but they kind of get to a point where they're somewhat confusing, however I think that's just my personal preference.

The build has some nice lower sounds which help darken the feel. The atmosphere is alright here compared to the beginning. The strings could use some reverb, as they sound dry compared to the other instruments.

The drop isn't what I expected, but I suppose it fits. Great job mixing everything here, nothing is too distracting or too quiet. The new instruments help keep me interested without doing anything too insane. In my opinion, the changes in the dynamics were a tiny bit sudden, but I can't think of any way to do them differently, so I won't let it affect my rating.

The end wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped, but I'm guessing that's what you were going for. I, personally, would have probably added something with more of a transient to it, but everyone has different tastes.

I probably would have done a few things differently with this song, especially dealing with the ambience. There are some sections where the ambience was well done, and some sections where it dragged on or took away from the song. The mixing was pretty good, aside from some instruments sounding dry compared to everything else, causing them to stick out. The instrumentation was great, and you guys did a good job doing something different from your original styles. Keep up the great work!

8/10

Mandragora Mandragora

I've never played Deemo, nor have I listened to M2U or NICODE's music, so I don't know what this is supposed to sound like, but I'm pretty sure you nailed it.

I like the diversity of instruments you used. From piano to strings and from guitars to music boxes, this song was packed with various instruments that really bring the song to life. My one issue with this song is that it's a bit too focused on the piano. The piano is the center of attention mostly throughout the whole song, and I would have liked to see a bit more emphasis on some other instruments, but I'm really nitpicking here. Other than that, the song is pretty much perfect.

You blended everything together really nicely. I realized about halfway through that I wasn't focused as much on the other instruments, but that's really not a bad thing. They were there, and they still added to the song without being intrusive or calling attention to themselves.

I didn't hear any compression issues and it didn't sound like anything was compressed enough to have issues. You probably could have made this a bit louder if you were careful, but I don't think it's too quiet and I think the volume you have it at now is fine, so it's not an issue.

I really don't know what else to say. I guess one other thing that goes along with my nitpick earlier is that this song seems safe, especially compared to songs like Stray. There's nothing wrong with being safe, but I always like to see people take risks.

Keep up the great work, Miyo!

9/10

Miyolophone responds:

Thank you for the feedback yet again Kyron! I'll just note here that the piano was intentionally the center of focus because the gameplay aspect of Deemo is playing a piano, so all of the songs in it are piano concerto-esque. I'll be doing some (at least slightly) riskier stuff in the future, so I hope I can surprise you a little soon...